Thai beef salad recipe. Fast fun and vibrant food in under 30 minutes.
Full of the punchy flavours that characterise Thai food, this vibrant Thai beef salad recipe can be made in under 30 minutes. The steaks are quick and easy to cook and although there is a bit of vegetable prep to do the dish is more about assembly rather than preparation.
For best results use the freshest produce available and bring the meat to room temperature before cooking.
Recipe for Thai beef salad
2 x sirloin steaks of about 250g each 2 tsp sesame oil 1 tsp flaked sea salt 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper 1 tsp ground coriander For the salad 1/4 head Chinese leaf, shredded 1 cup beansprouts 1 carrot, shredded 8 radishes, sliced 1/2 shallot, finely sliced 4 spring onions, sliced 1/2 cucumber, peeled and shaved into ribbons 1 small bunch mint, chopped For the dressing 1 garlic clove, chopped 1 teaspoon chili paste 2 tsp brown sugar 3 tbsp fish sauce 3 limes, juice 1 tbsp sesame oil To garnish 75g salted peanuts, chopped 1/2 red chilli, finely sliced coriander leaves
1. Take the steaks from the fridge, remove any packaging, and pat dry with kitchen paper.
2. Rub the steaks with the oil and seasonings. Set aside to come up to room temperature whilst you make the salad.
3. Begin to layer your salad ingredients on a large platter.
4. Note the size and shape of the carrots. It takes a little more effort to julienne them rather than grate them, but the texture will make a big difference to the eating quality of your salad.
5. Finish the salad layers with the chopped mint.
6. Heat a grill pan or frying pan over a medium high heat. When really hot, add the steaks seasoning side down and sear for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
7. Remove the steaks from the pan and set aside to rest for a few minutes whilst you make the dressing.
8. Stir all of the dressing ingredients together.
9. Thinly slice the steaks.
10. Layer the sliced steaks onto the salad.
11. Finish with the dressing and a scatter of peanuts.
12. Serve the Thai beef salad whilst the steak is still hot.